Pico-8 #1

This was my first time using Lua

    So, this was a weird learning experience. Before touching Pico-8 I had already tried my hand at developing games without game engines but they were always in programming languages that I felt comfortable with. In case you didn't know Pico-8 uses a subset of Lua meaning it uses a version of Lua that is less than the standard. The only thing I ever wrote in Lua was "while(true) do turtle.attack()" in the Minecraft mod ComputerCraft.

What I learned

    Lua is weird for a mainly C family programmer but out of all the weak-typed languages that I've used Lua is probably my favorite. Figuring out object oriented programming in Lua was difficult at first but now I feel much more comfortable. Mainly I just learned that I can use tables like objects and create a function to create them like constructors.

Current Plans

    I've gotten myself into a couple Unity projects so the amount of free time I have for Pico-8 has decreased. However with the time I do have I want to make a Wolfenstein/Doom style raycaster game. I just want to do it as a challenge but I'll come up with other things that I want to add.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Post!

Pico-8 #2